Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I hope I didn't just make a big mistake

  1. #1
    Inactive Member slovejoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2005
    Posts
    705
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I forgot to ask on the auction that I just won whether she was from a smoke free home, or free of odors. It just say in the description that she is free of stain, tears, etc... Not sure if that includes odors. I was wondering if she does end up being smokey smelling, is there anything that will take that out? Thanks
    Shanna

  2. #2
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm not sure how well Febreeze works on dolls, or how safe it is, but I use it on clothing and I don't have a problem. If you don't want to spray her, you could try shutting her in a plastic bag with a few dryer sheets. That seems to work for me too.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Peachysweetdream's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2002
    Posts
    389
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would bet she isn't smoke smelling... you would think (or at least hope, I suppose!) that a seller would mention something like that. Like Dee suggested I would think Febreze would work well. If not, you could always store her in a pine chest for a few days with dryer sheets. Shouldn't that absorb the smell?

    Good luck... I hope your new doll is smoke free!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member slovejoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2005
    Posts
    705
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thank-you for your suggestions and words of comfort [img]smile.gif[/img] , the dryer sheet thing I didn't think of, sounds like a great idea! I did e-mail her to ask her after the auction and would still like to know so there are no surprises, but I feel much better already knowing there are solutions. [img]graemlins/sun.gif[/img]

    Thanks
    Shanna

  5. #5
    Inactive Member nicolej's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2003
    Posts
    167
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You could always wash her. I think Joy has an album showing how.
    Here's the link to Joy's album.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 20, 2005 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Nicole J ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member wrxgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    876
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well I bought a Lissie off ebay and the seller never said anything about odors in her auction, but she had a nice "attic" smell to her.. the seller then stated that she had tried spraying her with febreeze before she sold her but it didnt work...... the smells will naturally come out too over time....
    Im sure your Molly will be fine, if not there are ways to get out the smell!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member etoileangevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 11th, 2005
    Posts
    61
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think she would be fine. If not, there are many ways to get smells out of dolls.

    Katherine

  8. #8
    Inactive Member robin0850's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 6th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've received dolls that simply REEKED of cigarette smoke; and Febreze is quite effective. (Be sure to use the antimicrobial kind) Undress her and spray the hair and "scalp" thoroughly, being sure to protect her eyes, and the rest of her, head to toe. Leave her to dry, and if her body still smells, you may need to unstuff her and spray her stuffing, too. Make sure it's thoroughly dry before re-stuffing. You do need to wash any clothes in Woolite, as well.
    If her hair needs conditioning, the Downy treatment is also deoderizing, and a baking-soda scrub of her vinyl will remove that nasty nicotine film.
    This may sound like a lot of work, but it's worth it to make a lovely doll lovable again. AND, it helps me to remember to ask about a smoke-free home before I bid! [img]eek.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member ninasmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2005
    Posts
    144
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I had a bad experience too, except that I bought outfits instead of a doll. I ended up washing the outfits and then lay them flat dry with a dry sheets on top. Now they smell nice and fragrant.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member slovejoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 14th, 2005
    Posts
    705
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wow! You guys are quite inventive, I never would have thought of unstuffing her and spraying the stuffing, but it really makes sense. I did e-mail her and she said that she is not the original owner, but she doesn't seem to smell to her, but if she does I have some great ideas now! I also had a clothing item sent that smelled of smoke so I will certainly try your ideas on that too. I'm hoping that these smoking items are coming from adult collectors, I hate to think of the effect of second hand on a child (I mean no offense to any smokers here on the board). Thank-you again
    Shanna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •